photo lovehome_zpsdd368d9d.png  photo loveabout_zps74416c03.png  photo twitter_zpsefe8e76e.png

Friday, May 9, 2014

The Finest Dining for the Little One

As soon as my pediatrician gave the OK for my little “sprout” to start trying new foods, I raced to the grocery store to find those cute little baby jars of food. I was beyond excited to start this new food adventure with her. I quickly realized that the selections, flavors and brands are all part of a never ending list! As I began piling the cart up with the jars of baby food, I came across something like “turkey and spinach”. This gourmet meal for my little sprout’s first food adventure was turkey in paste form with spinach. Sounds appetizing right? No! So I thought, “How in the world could it sound appetizing to her?” Something about the meat protein in paste form didn't sit right with me. Back went the jars of baby food, and my grocery shop adventure was over.


Introducing foods is fun and exciting to your little one so why not start them off with something that is enjoyable…even to you! After my grocery store flop, I went home and did a little research. What I found is that MOST foods are OK for your baby to enjoy. Your little one is human so after 6 months (please check with your pediatrician first), your sprout can enjoy most wholesome foods which you also enjoy.
What did I do next? I became an unprofessional culinary artist. I simply started off with the colors as the doctors recommend doing; the greens, then oranges, then the blues/purples and so on and began blending them myself. As my little one began to have experience in her fine dining I was providing, I would start blending different fruits and vegetables together (i.e. bananas and strawberries, or boiled carrots and broccoli).

My experienced little diner was eventually ready to graduate from the basic fruits and vegetables to full meals. This is where my unprofessional culinary skills really took off! I would cook meals for my husband and I in which I knew that foods were baby friendly too. Spaghetti night would be served and a small portion would be tossed into the blender and served to my little one. Tuesdays are generally homemade taco night for my family so off went the black beans, rice, and corn into the blender and my sprout thoroughly enjoyed taco night.


Here are a few benefits of making homemade baby food:
  •  Cost effective
  • Time efficient (yes, this is true! Many times there is leftover baby food ready for the freezer)
  •  You see first-hand & have control over the ingredients
  • Elimination of additives (GMOs No Thanks!)
  • Increase nutritional value


Be sure to check out more menu options for your fine diner HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment